The prep area is the first stop for patients who are getting a pacemaker. Several nurses will be available to help you get ready for the procedure and answer whatever questions you may have. A family member is welcome to wait with you prior to the procedure. Here's what will happen:
- A nurse will measure your vital signs.
- A nurse will ask you questions about your medical history, medications that you are currently taking and assess for any significant allergies.
- Any hair on your chest will be removed and a surgical scrub will be done.
- An IV will be inserted in one of your veins to administer medications for the procedure.
- You will receive a dose of an antibiotic to help prevent an infection.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Our staff of cardiac professionals are here to help and make you as comfortable as possible.