Prior to your pacemaker implantation, you will be given the following instructions. For your safety, please make sure they are followed. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call us at 970.221.1000.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight, or eight hours before the procedure.
- Do not take any medications the morning of your procedure, unless otherwise directed by your physician.
- If you take blood thinners such as Coumadin or have diabetes, please obtain specific instructions from your physician five to seven days before the procedure.
- Be sure to bring all of your medications in their original labeled bottles along with a list of daily dosages. This includes all over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements.
- Plan to arrive at the cardiac cath lab on the second floor of Medical Center of the Rockies two hours before the scheduled procedure time, or as instructed otherwise.
- If there is any possibility that you could be pregnant, please inform your physician or nurse immediately. This procedure can have an adverse effect on the fetus.
- The scheduled procedural time is approximate and delays due to emergencies in the hospital are always possible. However, we will do everything possible to perform your procedure in a timely manner.
- The actual procedure itself only takes about one and a half to two hours, depending upon complexity. However, the entire process (including prep and recovery time) can be several hours. You will probably be admitted to the hospital overnight. Please plan accordingly.