- 1 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
- Caramelized Tofu (recipe follows)
- 3 cups brown rice
- 2 scallions, sliced
Add the oil to a heated wok or skillet. When hot, add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tofu and the scallions, then cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for 2 minutes more.
Serve with brown rice. Garnished with the scallions.
- 1 (16-ounce) package firm tofu, cut into slabs, triangles, or cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
Drain, then blot the tofu with paper towels. Cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over fairly high heat. Add the tofu and fry until golden. It takes several minutes to color, so let it cook undisturbed, then turn the pieces. Drain briefly on paper towels.
While the tofu is cooking, mix the soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl. While the tofu is draining, heat the skillet again and add the soy mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and add the tofu. Toss well, and then simmer for 2 minutes. Add water and cook until the sauce coats the tofu with a syrupy glaze. Turn off the heat. Let the tofu cool in the syrup for 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from RealFood-Poco-Cocoa.com