Here's something tasty, healthy and repeatable-your kid's going to ask for it again and again.
Use one tortilla, preferably made from whole wheat. Lay the tortilla out flat and evenly spread cranberry sauce over it.
Put on a layer of lettuce or spinach leaves. Bok choy is an excellent choice, too.
In case you're unfamiliar with it, bok choy is a Chinese cabbage. Most groceries sell it nowadays, but you'll definitely be able to buy it in a natural foods store.
Anyway, once you have a leafy layer down, sprinkle on some small pieces of cut-up chicken or turkey, or other types of deli meat. Make sure the meat is low in fat. If you're child isn't a meat lover, try hummus as a substitute.
Then, tightly roll up the tortilla, as tight as you can get it.
Cut the tortilla into bite sizes. Use toothpicks to hold the pieces together. Or run a skewer through all the pieces so your child can pick them off one at a time. Make sure your skewer has blunt ends.
Put an apple or other fruit into the sack lunch, too, and a carton of orange juice or low-fat milk.
A learning moment for you and your child:
Cranberries are favorites at Thanksgiving, but beyond then most people drink rather than eat cranberries. About 95 percent of the commercial cranberries grown in the U.S. is processed into juice and sweetened dried fruit; the other 5 percent are sold fresh.
Early European settlers in American named the fruit cranberry because they thought the blossoming cranberry flower resembled the head, neck and bill of a crane.
Native Americans used cranberries for pemmican, wound medicine and dye. The natives called the berry "sassamanash" and may have introduced starving English settlers to the food-thus, perhaps that's how the tradition of eating cranberries at Thanksgiving began.
The first cranberry farm was started by an American Revolutionary War veteran in 1816 in Cape Code.
Modern marketers have dubbed raw cranberries as a superfruit because of their nutritious content and antioxidant qualities.
Cranberries grown on dwarf evergreen shrubs or trailing vines in bogs in the cooler regions of the northern hemisphere. Cranberries are harvested in the fall when the fruit takes on its distinctive red color.
Raw cranberries have a real bitter tartness to them, so they are typically blended with other fruits to mild out the taste. It's possible to make your own cranberry sauce. The preparation is similar to making jelly or jam.
To learn more: Cranberries