In addition to your doctor's recommendations and a possible sleep study, there are some general tips to help with getting good sleep.
Do you have good sleep habits? Check out what helps or hinders your sleep, below.
Getting good sleep:
- Keep a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day (including weekends and vacation)
- Use "going to bed" rituals. Create soothing routines as you approach going to bed.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing.
- Maintain healthy weight / limit weight gain.
- Manage worries: keep a notepad nearby to write down and let go of any thoughts that get in the way of falling asleep.
What can hinder good sleep:
- Long naps during the day.
- Use of alcohol, caffeine and / or nicotine.
- Some medicines (ask your doctor).
- Heavy meals close to bedtime.
- Strenuous exercise or activity within 2 hours of bedtime.
- Excess weight.