Is my child taking asthma medicines the right way?
- What drugs should my child take every day (called controller drugs)? What should I do if my child misses a day?
- Which drugs should my child take when he or she is short of breath (called rescue drugs)? Is it okay to use these rescue drugs every day?
- What are the side effects of these medicines? For what side effects should I call the doctor?
- How will I know when the inhalers are getting empty? Is my child using the inhaler the right way? Should my child be using a spacer?
What are some signs that a child's asthma is getting worse and that I need to call the doctor? What should I do when my child feels short of breath?
What shots or vaccinations does my child need?
How do I find out when smog or pollution is worse?
What sort of changes should I make around the home?
- Can we have a pet? In the house or outside? How about in the bedroom?
- Is it okay for anyone to smoke in the house? How about if my child is not in the house when someone is smoking?
- Is it okay for me to clean and vacuum when my child is in the house?
- Is it okay to have carpets in the house?
- What type of furniture is best to have?
- How do I get rid of dust and mold in the house? Do I need to cover my child's bed or pillows?
- Can my child have stuffed animals?
- How do I know if I have cockroaches in my home? How do I get rid of them?
- Can I have a fire in my fireplace or wood-burning stove?
What does my child's school or daycare need to know about my child’s asthma?
- Do I need to have an asthma plan for the school?
- How can I make sure my child can use the medicines at school?
- Can my child participate fully in gym class at school?
What types of exercises or activities are better for a child with asthma to do?
- Are there times when my child should avoid being outside?
- Are there things that I can do before my child starts exercising?
Does my child need tests or treatments for allergies? What should I do when I know my child will be around something that triggers their asthma?
What type of arrangements do I need to make when we are planning to travel?
- What drugs should I bring? How do we get refills?
- Who should I call if my child’s asthma gets worse?