Why am I taking warfarin?
- What is a blood thinner?
- How does it work?
- Are there alternative blood thinners I could use?
What will be changed for me?
- How much bruising or bleeding should I expect?
- Are there exercises, sports activities, or other activities that are not safe for me?
- What should I do differently at school or work?
How should I take warfarin?
- Do I take it every day? Will it be the same dosage? What time of the day should I take it?
- How can I tell the different warfarin pills apart?
- What should I do if I am late for a dose? What should I do if I forget to take a dose?
Can I still take acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)? What about other pain medicines? How about cold medicines? What should I do if a doctor gives me a new prescription?
Do I need to make any changes in what I eat or drink? Can I drink alcohol?
Are there changes I should make around the home?
What should I do if I fall?
What are the signs or symptoms that I may be bleeding somewhere in my body?
Do I need any blood tests? Where do I get them? How often?