"We look at Healthy Hearts as an integral part of our science education. It is an excellent, informative program; the kids love it and learn healthy life style choices. Thank you again for letting us be part of this experience."
-Teacher, Bauder Elementary, Fort Collins
Heart health for all ages
Healthy Hearts ClubTM is an outreach heart health screening and preventive education program offered to adults* and elementary and high school students in Northern Colorado.
Our purpose is twofold: first and foremost, it is to educate students and their families about cardiac health and heart disease and to promote heart-healthy lifestyles; second, it is to provide cardiovascular health screenings.
A) allow for the educational component of Healthy Hearts ClubTM to become personally applicable to students and their families.
B) identify children with elevated blood pressure and/ or cholesterol which creates an opportunity for early intervention and motivation to develop heart-healthy lifestyles now, before their cardiac health has been compromised and years of unhealthy lifestyle habits have been established.
Impacting our Community
- Healthy Hearts ClubTM provides cardiovascular health screening and lifestyle counseling to adults in partnership with Poudre Valley Health System's Aspen Club.
- Participates in local and community events such as Colorado Children's Day, Kid's Expo, and 9Health Fairs, educating participants on the importance of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Conducts screenings to identify cardiovascular risks among elementary and high school students in Poudre, Thompson, Park, Windsor, Eaton, Johnstown/Milliken, Ault, and Greeley school districts.
- Performs adult screenings including cardiovascular disease and stroke risk assessments, as well as blood pressure and cholesterol measurements.
- As part of the Community Stroke Prevention Team, Healthy Hearts ClubTM works to advance stroke education, awareness, risk reduction and referral protocols.
- Work with local school districts to advocate, promote, and advance school wellness.
2010 Healthy Hearts Club Outcomes Report
2012 study: Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Children in a 20 year Community Study: Influence of the Family
For more information about Healthy Hearts Club, please call 970-624-1680 or E-mail HealthyHearts@uchealth.org.
* Our adult screenings are for adults outside of Fort Collins. The Health District handles cholesterol screenings for adults in Fort Collins.