Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped apples (not peeled)
- ½ cup raisins
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk to blend evenly.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, egg white, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in the apples,
raisins and carrots.
- Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still slightly lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake until springy to the touch, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the
muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Nutrition Per Muffin (Makes 18 muffins): 175 calories, 7g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 3g protein
Source: Adapted from www.mayoclinic.com