Another surgical weight loss option
Developed in Australia in the early 1990's, sleeve gastrectomy* has become an effective alternative to other types of bariatric surgeries and has been performed in the United States since 2001.
The sleeve gastrectomy:
- Removes about 85% of the greater curvature of the stomach.
- Reduces stomach size from the size of a cantaloupe to the size of a slim banana.
- Controls appetite and food cravings because the portion of the stomach that secretes the hunger hormone, Ghrelin, is removed.
- Ensures patients feel eat less and fell more full because the stomach is smaller.
- Helps patients lose approximately 60% of their excess weight within 1-2 years. (Limited data is available for excess weight loss at 5 years.)
Bariatric Center of the Rockies, a leader in weight loss surgery since 1995, is one of the first programs in the state of Colorado to offer the sleeve gastrectomy. We also offer gastric bypass and lap band surgery.
For information about what procedure is right for you, please contact our patient navigator.
*Also known as: veritical sleeve gastrectomy, vertical gastrectomy, greater curve gastrectomy,
parietal gastrectomy, gastric reduction, longitudinal gastrectomy, vertical gastroplasty.